skip to content


A networking organisation for plants-related research and impact
Taking research from the lab and out into the commercial world is both an exciting and daunting prospect. However, at Cambridge we are lucky to have some of the best commercialisation support available, and there are lots of people to help you on this journey.  

CDAs and MTAs

It is very important to make sure you have any confidential information covered with a confidential disclosure agreement (CDA) before you start discussing details with commercial entities. If you have a meeting lined up with a potential industry partner, get in touch with the Research Operations Office (ROO) well in advance to get any necessary paperwork in place. If you go on to make a contract with an external party, or need a materials transfer agreement (MTA) for sharing samples, you should also contact ROO. 

Developing a commercialisation strategy

Cambridge Enterprise provide a range of services to help commercialise research. If you have an idea that you are considering commercialising, get in touch with them for a confidential discussion on how to take it forward. This may include implementing an appropriate IP strategy, but only where both you and they think it is appropriate. It would be helpful if you could let CambPlants know if you start discussions with Cambridge Enterprise. 

Want to start a company?

There are a number of organisations and societies at the University which can help you understand the life of a founder, hone your ideas, and link you with potential funders. These include:
If you are looking to commercialise a product or service for the agricultural industry, Agri-Tech East are a useful contact. The University is a member of their network, and so any students or staff are able to attend their events at member prices, and can gain access to other members. Contact us if you would like an introduction to the team.